Skip to content

    Mental Health Center

    Font Size

    Domestic Abuse - Home Treatment

    After abuse starts, it usually gets worse if steps are not taken to stop it. If you are in an abusive relationship, ask for help. This may be hard, but know that you are not alone. Help is available. Call:

    • The National Domestic Violence Hotline toll-free at 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233), or see the website at
    • The National Teen Dating Abuse Hotline toll-free at 1-866-331-9474 or (1-866-331-8453 TTY), or see the website at
    • The Childhelp Line toll-free at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453), or see the website at

    If you are in an abusive relationship, it is very important to develop a plan for dealing with a threatening situation. If your partner has threatened to harm you or your child, seek help.

    • Anytime you are in danger, call 911.
    • If you do not have a safe place to stay, tell a friend, a religious counselor, or your doctor. Do not feel that you have to hide what is happening with an abusive partner.
    • Have a safety plan for how to leave your house, where to go, where to stay, and what to take in case you need to get out quickly.
    • Do not tell your partner about your plan so you stay safe once you are away.
    • For more help in developing your plan, call:
      • The National Domestic Violence Hotline toll-free at 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233), or see the website at
      • Your local police department, hospital, or clinic for the local crisis line or for names of shelters and safe homes near you.

    Here are some other things you can do:

    • If you are seeing a counselor, be sure to go to all appointments.
    • Teach your children how to call for help in an emergency.
    • Be alert to warning signs, such as threats or drinking. This can help you avoid danger.
    • If you can, make sure that there are no guns or other weapons in your home.
    • If you are working, contact your human resources department or employee assistance program to find out what help is available to you.

    If you are no longer living with a violent partner, contact the police to get a restraining order if your abuser continues to pursue you, threaten you, or act violently toward you.

    If you have been a victim of abuse and continue to have problems related to the abuse, you may have depression or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). For more information, see the topics Depression and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

    1 | 2
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    Differences between feeling depressed or feeling blue.
    lunar eclipse
    Signs of mania and depression.
    man screaming
    Causes, symptoms, and therapies.
    woman looking into fridge
    When food controls you.
    Woman standing in grass field barefoot, wind blowi
    senior man eating a cake
    woman reading medicine warnings
    depressed young woman
    man with arms on table
    man cringing and covering ears

    WebMD Special Sections