Warning Signs of Suicide - Topic Overview
Warning signs of suicide continued...
Adults who are at risk may show these warning signs of
suicide. They may:
- Plan to or say they want to hurt or kill
themselves or someone else.
- Talk, write, read, or draw about death,
including writing suicide notes and talking about items that can cause physical
harm, such as pills, guns, or knives.
- Say they have no hope, they feel trapped, or there is no point in
- Buy guns or bullets, stockpile medicines, or take other action to
prepare for a suicide attempt. They may have a new interest in guns or other
- Drink more alcohol or use drugs, including prescription
- No longer want to see people and want to be alone a
- No longer take care of themselves or follow medical
- Give away their things and/or hurry to complete a will.
warning signs in children, teens, and young adults may
be different. They include running away from home or doing risky or dangerous
things, such as drunk driving.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
January 11, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Warning Signs of Suicide Topics