Frequently Asked Questions About Food Triggers, Migraines, and Headaches
What Cheeses Have High Tyramine Levels?
The following types of cheeses have been reported to be high in tyramine:
- Blue cheeses
- Processed cheese
Other foods high in tyramine include aged, canned, cured or processed meats, certain beans (fava, broad, garbanzo, lima, pinto), onions, olives, pickles, avocados, raisins, canned soups, and nuts.
What Food Products Contain Additives?
- Hot dogs
- Luncheon meats and deli-style meats
- Other cured or processed meats
- Some heart medications
- MSG (monosodium glutamate). MSG is a food additive/flavor enhancer found in soy sauce, meat tenderizer, Asian foods, and a variety of packaged foods.
What Are the Symptoms of a Reaction to Food Additives?
Most headache symptoms begin within 20-25 minutes after consuming food additives. Other symptoms of a reaction to additives may include:
- Pressure in the chest
- Tightening and pressure in the face
- Burning sensation in the chest, neck, or shoulders
- Facial flushing
- Headache pain across the front or sides of the head
- Abdominal discomfort