Frequently Asked Questions About Food Triggers, Migraines, and Headaches
What Food Products Contain Additives?
- Hot dogs
- Luncheon meats and deli-style meats
- Other cured or processed meats
- Some heart medications
- MSG (monosodium glutamate). MSG is a food additive/flavor enhancer found in soy sauce, meat tenderizer, Asian foods, and a variety of packaged foods.
What Are the Symptoms of Food Additive-Induced Headaches?
Most headache symptoms begin within 20-25 minutes after consuming food additives. They include:
- Pressure in the chest
- Tightening and pressure in the face
- Burning sensation in the chest, neck, or shoulders
- Facial flushing
- Headache pain across the front or sides of the head
- Abdominal discomfort
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.