Multiple Sclerosis and Assisted Living
Assisted Living Staff
- Is the staff appropriately trained?
- Did you receive a warm greeting from staff? Are staff personable and outgoing?
- Are staff appropriately dressed?
- Do staff members greet residents by their first names and interact warmly with them?
- Are staff available to meet scheduled and unscheduled needs?
- Are staff available to assist residents who experience memory, orientation, or judgment losses?
Assisted Living Residents and Atmosphere
- Do residents socialize with each other and appear happy and comfortable?
- Do residents, other visitors, and volunteers speak favorably about the facility?
- Do the residents seem to be appropriate housemates for you or your loved one?
Assisted Living Facility Design
- Do you like the appearance of the building and its surroundings?
- Is the decor attractive and home-like?
- Is the floor plan easy to follow?
- Do doorways, hallways, and rooms accommodate wheelchairs and walkers?
- Are elevators available?
- Are handrails available to aid in walking?
- Are cupboards and shelves easy to reach?
- Are carpets secured and floors made of a non-skid material?
- Is there good natural and artificial lighting?
- Is the residence clean, odor free, and appropriately heated/cooled?
Medication and Health Care in Assisted Living
- What is the residence policy regarding storage of medication, assistance with medications, and medication record-keeping?
- Is self-administration of medication allowed?
- Who coordinates visits from a nurse, physical therapist, occupational therapist, or other specialist if needed?
- Does a doctor or nurse visit the resident regularly to provide medical checkups?
Assisted Living Services
Is staff available to provide 24-hour assistance with activities of daily living, if needed? Daily activities include:
- Hygiene and grooming
- Bathing and toileting
- Using the telephone
- Housekeeping in unit
- Transportation to doctor, hairdresser, or other activities
Features of Individual Units
- Are different sizes and types of units available?
- Are units for single and double occupancy available?
- Do residents have their own lockable doors?
- Is a 24-hour emergency response system accessible from the unit?
- Are bathrooms private? Do they accommodate wheelchairs and walkers?
- Can residents bring their own furnishings? What may they bring?
- Do all units have a telephone and cable television? How is billing handled for these services?
- Is a kitchen area/unit provided with a refrigerator, sink, and cooking element?
- May residents keep food in their units?
- May residents smoke in their units? May they smoke in public areas?