How Botulinum Toxin Can Help Your MS
What Are the Side Effects?
Botulinum toxin might cause:
- Weakness in the muscle and the ones near it after an injection that may keep you from using those parts of your body. The problem doesn’t last long.
- It’s rare, but some people get flu-like symptoms 1 week after the injections. They usually only last for about a day.
What Does It Mean to 'Develop Antibodies' to Botulinum Toxin?
It’s rare, but some people’s immune systems make things called antibodies that keep botulinum toxin from working as well as it should. To keep this from happening, your doctor won’t give you injections more often than every 3 months.
Does Insurance Cover This Treatment?
Coverage varies greatly. Check with your insurance company before treatment begins.
When Should I Call My Doctor?
- If you think that the medication is not working. (But wait at least 2 weeks after you get the injections.)
- If you are having side effects that you think may be related to botulinum toxin.
- When the effects of the medication wear off.