Product Recall: Polly Pocket Dolls
3 Kids Hospitalized After Reportedly Swallowing Magnets from Recalled Toys
Nov. 21, 2006 -- Toy maker Mattel Inc. today joined the Consumer Safety
Product Commission in recalling some of its Mattel Polly Pocket dolls and
accessories with magnets.
The recall follows the hospitalization of three young children who
reportedly swallowed more than one magnet from the recalled toys, creating
holes in their intestines that required surgery.
"Tiny magnets inside the dolls and accessories can fall out undetected
by parents and caregivers," says a news release from the U.S. Consumer
Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
"Consumers should immediately take these recalled toys away from
children and contact Mattel to arrange for the return of the sets and to
receive a voucher for a replacement toy of the customer's choice, up to the
value of the returned product," says CPSC.
The voluntary recall doesn't include Polly Pocket products currently on
The recalled products were sold in discount department stores and toy stores
from May 2003 through September 2006 and cost $15 to $30 dollars, according to
Today's recall involves about 2.4 million play sets sold in the U.S. and
another 2 million sold worldwide, according to the CPSC.
Here is a list of the recalled items:
- Polly Pocket! Polly Place Hangin' Out House (Model B2632)
- Polly Pocket! Polly Place Treetop Clubhouse (Model B3158)
- Polly Pocket! Spa Day (Model B3201)
- Polly Totally! Polly Place Totally Tiki Diner (Model B7118)
- Polly Pocket! Quik-Clik Boutique (Model G8605)
- Polly Pocket! Quik-Clik City Pretty Playset (Model H1537)
- Polly Pocket! Quik-Clik Sporty Style Playset (Model H1538)
- Polly Pocket! Totally Zen Playset (Model H3211)
The model number is printed on the bottom of the largest pieces of some of
the play sets.
If you can't find the model number, contact Mattel at 888-597-6597, or visit
the company's web site at www.service.mattel.com, says the CPSC.
The magnets are one-eighth of an inch in diameter and are found in the hands
and feet of some plastic Polly Pocket dolls, as well as in the plastic
clothing, hair pieces, and other accessories that attach to the doll or doll's
"The magnets can be swallowed, aspirated [inhaled] by young children, or
placed by a child in their nose or ears," states the CPSC.
"When more than one magnet is swallowed, the magnets can attract each
other and cause intestinal perforation [holes], infection, or blockage, which
can be fatal," the commission says.
If the magnets get into the lungs, immediate surgery is required.
Magnets placed in the nose or ears can cause swelling and be difficult to
remove, states the CPSC.
CPSC says it's aware of 170 reports of the small magnets coming out of the