President Obama (D)
- Supports abortion rights as defined by Roe v. Wade.
- Health insurers decide if they want to cover abortions.
- Starting in 2014, at least one health plan in each health exchange must cover the cost of an abortion.
- Federal law prohibits public funds from being used to pay for abortions, except in cases of rape, incest, or when pregnancy poses life-threatening danger to the mother.
Governor Romney (R)
- Opposes abortion but makes exceptions for rape, incest, and threat to the mother's life.
- Would reinstate rule that says private organizations cannot use government money for abortions.