President Obama (D)
All new private insurance plans, and Medicare, now cover 22 preventive health services for women for free (no copayment, coinsurance, or deductible). They include:
- A yearly wellness checkup
- Cholesterol and blood pressure screening
- Mammogram, colorectal cancer screening, and cervical cancer screening
- Depression screening
- Many vaccinations
- HIV screening
- Help quitting smoking
- The full list of preventive services is posted on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web site.
- Requires health insurance companies to cover the cost of FDA-approved birth control, sterilization procedures, and contraceptive education and counseling.
- Employers that provide health benefits must include the full cost of contraceptives in their plans.
- Organizations opposed to birth control can opt out of providing coverage for it. Insurance companies will pick up the cost instead.
Governor Romney (R)
- Not mentioned in his plan.