Skip to content
This content is selected and controlled by WebMD's editorial staff and is brought to you by LISTERINE®.
Font Size

What can I do for gingivitis?

Dentist, WebMD Medical Expert
American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry

Treatment of gingivitis must begin with a dental examination. This will determine what type of gingivitis you may have, and whether there is bone loss or a systemic disease to consider. Then, the appropriate level of hygienic care can begin. This may include a referral to a gum specialist. Your dentist may also provide you with directions for the proper home care regimen, which includes brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash.

Previous Slide Next Slide

From Our Sponsor

Content under this heading is from or created on behalf of the named sponsor. This content is not subject to the WebMD Editorial Policy and is not reviewed by the WebMD Editorial department for accuracy, objectivity or balance.

  • Healthy Mouth

    Follow these simple steps for basic oral health.

  • Beautiful Smile

    From braces to whitening, get pointers on how to look your best.

  • Kids' Teeth

    How to help your little ones take care of their teeth.

  • Expert Answers

    Advice from dentists on everything from bad breath to fillings.