Skip to content

    Osteoporosis Health Center

    Font Size

    Do You Need a Specialist for Osteoporosis?

    Medical Specialists Who Treat Osteoporosis

    After an initial assessment, it may be necessary to see an endocrinologist, a rheumatologist, or another specialist to exclude the possibility of an underlying disease that may contribute to osteoporosis:

    Endocrinologists treat the endocrine system, which comprises the glands and hormones that help control the body’s metabolic activity. In addition to osteoporosis, endocrinologists also treat diabetes and diseases of the thyroid and pituitary glands.

    Rheumatologists diagnose and treat diseases of the joints, muscles, bones, and tendons, including arthritis and collagen diseases.

    Family physicians have a broad range of training that includes internal medicine, gynecology, and pediatrics. They place special emphasis on caring for an individual or family on a long-term, continuing basis.

    Geriatricians are family physicians or internists who have received additional training on the aging process and the conditions and diseases that often occur among the elderly, including incontinence, falls, and dementia. Geriatricians often care for patients in nursing homes, the patient’s home, or in office or hospital settings.

    Gynecologists diagnose and treat conditions of the female reproductive system and associated disorders. They often serve as primary care physicians for women and follow their patients’ reproductive health over time.

    Internists are trained in general internal medicine. Internists diagnose and treat many diseases of the body. They provide long-term comprehensive care in the hospital and office, have expertise in many areas, and often act as consultants to other specialists.

    Orthopaedic surgeons are physicians trained in the care of patients with musculoskeletal problems. Congenital skeletal malformations, bone fractures and infections, and metabolic problems are some of the conditions addressed by orthopaedists.

    Physiatrists are physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Physiatrists evaluate and treat patients with impairments, disabilities, or pain arising from various medical problems, including bone fractures. Physiatrists focus on restoring the physical, psychological, social, and vocational functioning of the individual.

    WebMD Public Information from the U.S. National Institutes of Health

    Reviewed on June 01, 2005
    1 | 2

    Today on WebMD

    Women working out and walking with weights
    Reduce bone loss and build stronger muscles.
    Chinese cabbage
    Calcium-rich foods to add to your diet.
    woman stretching
    Get the facts on osteoporosis.
    Porous bone
    Causes, symptoms, risk factors, and treatment.
    senior woman
    Woman holding plate of brocolli
    wrist xray
    Superfood for Bones
    mature woman
    sunlight in hands
    man and woman in front of xray
    woman with dumbbells