Call your doctor right away if you:
- Think you have a broken bone, notice a deformity after a fall, or cannot move a part of your body.
- Have sudden, severe pain when bearing weight.
Call your doctor for an appointment if you:
- Want to discuss your risk for osteoporosis.
- Have symptoms of menopause or have completed menopause and want to discuss whether you should take medicine to prevent osteoporosis.
- Have been treated for a fracture caused by a minor injury, such as a simple fall, and want to discuss your risk of osteoporosis.
If you are nearing age 65, have osteopenia, or think that you are at high risk for osteoporosis, talk with your doctor about your concerns.
Who to see
Health professionals who can evaluate your symptoms and risk of osteoporosis include:
- Nurse practitioners.
- Physician assistants.
- Family medicine doctors.
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.