Could my baby's "colic" be a sign of something more serious?
Brunilda Nazario, MD
Endocrinologist, WebMD Medical Expert
Medical Editor, WebMD
Before looking to treat your baby's "colic," make sure he is thoroughly examined by his pediatrician to check for a medical reason for the crying and fussiness.
Some of the possible medical reasons for irritability in an infant include:
- An infection (for example: upper respiratory infection, ear, blood, meningitis, or urinary tract infection)
- Evidence of reflux or gastrointestinal distress
- Pressure or inflammation of the brain and nervous system
- An eye problem (for example: a scratched cornea or increased intraocular pressure)
- An abnormality of the rhythm of the heart
- A bone fracture
- A hernia
- A hair wrapped around a finger or toe