What everyday measures can I take to protect myself from the flu?
Take these everyday steps to help prevent the spread of germs and protect your health and the health of your family:
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or sneeze into your sleeve. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water, especially after you cough or sneeze. If soap and water are not available, an alcohol-based hand rub can be used.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Pay attention to your body and how you are feeling. If you think you have the flu, call your doctor or clinic right away.
- If you are pregnant and you live with or have close contact with someone who has the flu, talk with your doctor about medicines to prevent flu.
- Have a plan for someone else to take care of a sick family member.
- Stock up on household, health, and emergency supplies, such as acetaminophen (Acetamin, Panadol, Tylenol), water, and non-perishable foods.