This is a busy time! Your toddler is running and climbing. She can say up to 50 words (or even more) and may be putting 2 words together into a simple sentence. It can also be a challenging time. Your child may be moody, easily frustrated, and testing rules. Being consistent with discipline should help. Talk about any concerns that you may have with your pediatrician.
Here's what to expect at your toddler's 2-year checkup.
You Can Expect Your Pediatrician to:
Questions Your Pediatrician May Ask
- Is your child physically active?
- What words is she learning?
- Does she respond to 2-step commands?
Questions You May Have About Eating and Nutrition
- Is it normal that my child is a picky eater?
- How much fat should my child be eating?
- How will I know if my toddler is overweight?
Eating and Nutrition Tips
- Try to eat meals together at the dinner table and not in front of the TV. A family that eats together grows together! Family dinners are a great way to promote bonding and health.
- Give your child a variety of nutritious foods like vegetables, fruits, and dairy products.
- Let your child feed herself and choose what she eats.
- If your child doesn't like a particular food, keep offering it. She may change her mind later.
- At this stage, your child should be eating about 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks a day.
- Don't worry if your child doesn't eat much at times. Most of the time, it should balance out.
- This is a good time to start making the transition to 2% or 1% milk.
Questions You May Have About Physical Activity
- How much exercise do toddlers need?
- My child likes to sit and play quietly. How can I get her to be more active?
Physical Activity Tips
- Give your child plenty of opportunities to be active.
- Learning how to throw, kick, and catch builds physical confidence.
- Play together as much as possible and make fun the top priority.
- Be active as a family. It's a great way to spend time together while moving your bodies!
- Limit the amount of TV your toddler watches.
Remember that toddlers learn by your example. So make sure to set a good one!