Skip to content

    Health & Baby

    Font Size

    When to Call the Pediatrician


    "Most rashes, especially in children, are harmless and clear up on their own or with appropriate treatment," Woods says. But call your pediatrician if:

    • Your kid doesn't have any energy, feels pain at the site of the rash, or has a rash that goes deep into the skin. 
    • He has a purple bruise-like rash or one that doesn't get better with over-the-counter treatments.

    Pain While Peeing

    If your child is complains about this, it's "a definite red flag -- especially with a girl," Mendelson says.

    Call your pediatrician if your child's genitals are red, have a rash, or anything unusual. The doctor will check her for a possible urinary tract infection.

    1 | 2 | 3
    Reviewed on July 19, 2016

    Baby's First Year Newsletter

    Because every week matters, get expert advice and facts on what to expect in your baby's first year.

    Today on WebMD

    mother on phone holding baby
    When you should call 911.
    parents and baby
    Unexpected ways your life will change.
    baby acne
    What’s normal – and what’s not.
    baby asleep on moms shoulder
    Help your baby get the sleep he needs.

    mother holding baby at night
    mother with sick child
    Chinese mother breast feeding newborn baby girl
    Track Your Babys Vaccines
    Baby Napping 10 Dos And Donts
    Mother with her baby boy
    baby in crib
    baby gear slideshow