Does Parent Stress Affect Baby?
How to Soothe a Stressed Baby
What does a stressed baby look like? “Some might assume crying is the primary way infants would respond to stress, but this isn't necessarily the case,” says Keim. Other ways babies show stress are:
- Not meeting eye contact
- Finger splaying
- Worried expression
If your infant shows any of these symptoms, here’s how to help her relax:
- Gently put your hand on her head or feet.
- Place her hands together.
- Encourage sucking on a pacifier or thumb/finger.
- Swaddle her in a blanket.
- Hold or rock her gently using a shushing sound.