Tips for Going Back to Work After Baby
Returning from Maternity Leave: 5 Ways to Ease the Transition
1. Decide on child care. Bring baby when you interview caregivers to
see how she connects with them. Practice the new routines together before your
2. Delegate. Decide how you and your partner will divide
responsibilities — and what you can agree to let go (making the bed every
3. Suit up. Set a professional tone by keeping baby stories to a minimum
or sharing mainly with your closest colleagues. It'll assure coworkers that
your head is at work, not at home.
4. Stay connected. Those first few weeks, call the sitter on breaks or
go home for lunch if you can. As you adjust to your new schedule, you
will find solutions that help you feel better.
5. Embrace your new role. You're providing for your family, showing baby
that moms can wear many hats, and benefiting from a sense of fulfillment that
comes with your day job.
Ariane de Bonvoisin is the author of The First 30 Days (now in paperback)
and the founder of first30days.com, a Website dedicated to helping you navigate
any life change. Log on for advice and to connect with others who are making
Originally published on May 19, 2009
Related content on redbookmag.com
Amazing Mom Moments We Can Learn From
Vote For the Hottest Moms (And Submit Yourself!)
When You Should Lie To Your Kids
How Much Does it Cost to Have a Baby?
Becoming a Mom (When You Least Expect It)