Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Health & Baby

Font Size

Most Accidental Child Deaths Happen at Home

Study: Most Accidental Child Deaths Preventable

WebMD Health News

Aug. 1, 2005 -- Next to your car, your home may be one of the most dangerous places for your child.

New research shows that aside from motor vehicle injuries, children are more likely to die from an accidental injury they sustained at home than in any other place.

The study shows that despite recent reductions in unintentional injuries at home, more than half of child deaths caused by accidental injuries in a known location happen at home. The top causes of accidental deaths among children at home were fires, submersion in water, suffocation, poisoning, and falls.

Researchers say child deaths due to intentional injuries and child abuse may get more attention, but child deaths caused by unintentional injuries at home occur far more often, and most could have been prevented with adequate safety measures and supervision.

Where Accidental Child Deaths Happen

In the study, which appears in the August issue of Pediatrics, researchers analyzed injury-related deaths among children under 20 from 1985-1997 using National Vital Statistics System Mortality Data.

The results show that more than 14,500 children died each year from unintentional injuries. Of those, 65% of the injuries were caused by motor vehicle injuries, railway accidents, or medical complications not coded for location of injury occurrence. The other 35% of unintentional injuries happened in a known location.

Of the more than 5,100 unintentional injuries that happened each year in a known location, more than half (55%) of the injuries happened at home.

Researchers say the rate of fatal accidents at home decreased by 22% from 1987 to 1997. The majority of unintentional injuries sustained at home were preventable, such as injuries due to fire, drowning, or poisoning.

The death rate due to accidental injuries in the home was highest among infants under 1 year of age and children aged 1-5 years compared with other age groups.

Boys were nearly twice as likely to die from unintentional injuries sustained at home as girls. Black children were also twice as likely to die from accidental injuries at home as white children.

Researchers say the racial differences in accidental child death rates may be due to substandard housing, lower levels of education, and poverty. They say strategies to develop and enforce health-based housing standards could dramatically reduce the number of accidental child deaths at home.

Baby's First Year Newsletter

Because every week matters, get expert advice and facts on what to expect in your baby's first year.

Today on WebMD

mother on phone holding baby
When you should call 911.
parents and baby
Unexpected ways your life will change.
baby acne
What’s normal – and what’s not.
baby asleep on moms shoulder
Help your baby get the sleep he needs.

mother holding baby at night
mother with sick child
Chinese mother breast feeding newborn baby girl
Track Your Babys Vaccines
Baby Napping 10 Dos And Donts
Woman holding feet up to camera
Father kissing newborn baby
baby gear slideshow