Infant Deaths Spur Video Baby Monitor Recall
Cords Too Close to Cribs Blamed for 7 Baby Deaths
WebMD News Archive
Feb. 11, 2011 -- Two infant strangulation deaths and one close call have led to the recall of 1.7 million Summer Infant video baby monitors.
Various monitor brands caused the deaths of seven babies when cords were left too close to kids. This spurred an October 2010 warning from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The CSPC reports three frightening cases:
- A 10-month-old girl in Washington, D.C., strangled in the electrical cord of a Summer video monitor placed on the top of the crib rail.
- A 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C., strangled in the electrical cord of a Summer video monitor on a changing table attached to the crib.
- A 20-month-old boy from Pittsburgh was found in his crib with the electrical cord of a Summer video monitor wrapped around his neck. The monitor was mounted on the wall, but the boy could reach the cord. He recovered without serious injury.
Consumers who report purchasing the recalled products -- which include 40 different models sold nationwide for between $60 and $300 -- will receive a warning sticker for the electrical cord and a new instruction manual warning to keep the cord at least 3 feet from a child's crib.
The monitors were sold between January 2003 and February 2011. They carry the brand name "Summer."
Consumers may contact Summer Infant Inc. at 800-426-8627 during business hours, Eastern time.
The CSPC today also announced the recall of about 58,000 Slim and Secure Video Monitors, also made by Summer Infant. The batteries in the handheld video monitor can overheat and rupture, causing burns. There have been no serious injuries.
These monitors were sold exclusively at Babies R Us from September 2009 to May 2010 for about $200.
Consumers who bought the product should stop using the product and contact Summer Infant for an envelope in which they can return the defective batteries for exchange.