Skip to content

    Health & Baby

    Font Size

    Choosing Child Care - Individual Care Providers

    Types of individual providers

    • Babysitters and mother's helpers. Babysitters provide informal in-home care for your child, such as when you need to run errands or have planned an evening out. They are usually paid hourly and maintain general household order. But they are not expected to do housekeeping chores. A mother's helper is similar to a babysitter but is someone who watches your child while you are home.
    • Relative or family friend. When you have a relative or family friend care for your child, the formality of the arrangement is up to you. Some parents need help on occasion or part-time. Others have a detailed arrangement that may or may not include payment.
    • Nanny. Usually a nanny cares for one or more children of a single family. Nannies usually have at least a high school education. Many have college degrees in childhood education or have completed a special training program. Nannies are considered employees. They may work part-time or full-time in the family's home. For more information, contact the International Nanny Association at
    • Au pair. Au pairs are child care providers from a foreign country. They typically live with a family for around 12 months. Au pairs usually are young adults (18 to 26 years of age) and often have completed a college degree or are pursuing further education. Families usually are matched with an au pair through an agency.

    Selecting an individual care provider

    Have a clear idea about what type of person you are looking for. It may be helpful to:

    • Write down the qualities you want in a caregiver, such as educational background and experience.
    • Look for hidden costs.
    • Consider how having a relative or family friend watch your child could affect your relationship.

    There are two basic ways to find an individual child care provider:

    • Advertise. Talk with your neighbors and friends about the kind of person you are looking for. Post an advertisement in places where people in your community look for jobs or services, such as newspapers, local colleges, churches, or community bulletin boards.
    • Use an agencyagency. Some organizations will help you find child care. Many nannies and most au pairs are hired with agency help.
    1 | 2
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    mother on phone holding baby
    When you should call 911.
    parents and baby
    Unexpected ways your life will change.
    baby acne
    What’s normal – and what’s not.
    baby asleep on moms shoulder
    Help your baby get the sleep he needs.

    mother holding baby at night
    mother with sick child
    Chinese mother breast feeding newborn baby girl
    Track Your Babys Vaccines
    Baby Napping 10 Dos And Donts
    Mother with her baby boy
    baby in crib
    baby gear slideshow