Daily Speed Cleaning for Germs
You can take down some serious germ strongholds in a half-hour or less a day. If you don't have children or pets, it's even faster because you get to skip the last three steps. Start in the kitchen:
- Clean and disinfect countertops, sink faucet and handles, refrigerator handles, and cutting boards. Check the manufacturer's directions for specialty countertops.
- Clean with dishcloths that you can throw in the washer with hot water. Replace towels and dishcloths daily.
- Clean spills on the kitchen floor to keep them from attracting more dirt and bacteria.
- Empty bathroom wastebaskets and those with dirty diapers, and take out the garbage. Spritz the containers with sanitizing spray.
- Clean and sanitize the bathroom sink faucet and handles.
- Put pet dishes in the dishwasher.
- If you have a child in diapers, clean and disinfect the changing table.
- If your child uses pacifiers, put them on the top shelf of the dishwasher if they are dishwasher safe. Otherwise, wash it and any toys your child mouths with soap and hot water. Check toy cleaning labels first.
Weekly Speed Cleaning for Germs
Doing a daily speed clean makes weekly cleaning easier and faster. Once a week, follow these steps to wipe out more germs:
- Throw the kitchen sink strainer in the dishwasher.
- Remove and hand wash the stove knobs.
- Clean and disinfect the kitchen sink.
- Wash the toothbrush holder and wipe with a disinfecting wipe or put it in the dishwasher if it is dishwasher safe.
- Gather bathroom and bed linens without fluffing or shaking them to avoid spreading germs and dust. Wash in hot water, if possible.
- Mop the floors and vacuum carpets.
- Clean the bathroom sink, tub, and toilet.
- Disinfect computer keyboards, light switches, telephones, and remote controls with a disinfecting wipe that doesn't contain bleach. Squeeze to remove excess moisture first. Always turn off computers before cleaning.
Monthly Speed Clean for Germs
These monthly chores take hardly any time:
- Wash pet toys: Wash hard toys with hot, soapy water and disinfect. Rinse well before letting them dry. Toss soft toys in the washer with other laundry to wash in hot water.
- Pour a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach and 1 quart water down the kitchen sink drain to sanitize the drain and garbage disposal. Or pour white vinegar down the drain.
- Clean the coffeemaker.