Weekly Speed Cleaning for Germs
Doing a daily speed clean makes weekly cleaning easier and faster. Once a week, follow these steps to wipe out more germs:
- Throw the kitchen sink strainer in the dishwasher.
- Remove and hand wash the stove knobs.
- Clean and disinfect the kitchen sink.
- Wash the toothbrush holder and wipe with a disinfecting wipe or put it in the dishwasher if it is dishwasher safe.
- Gather bathroom and bed linens without fluffing or shaking them to avoid spreading germs and dust. Wash in hot water, if possible.
- Mop the floors and vacuum carpets.
- Clean the bathroom sink, tub, and toilet.
- Disinfect computer keyboards, light switches, telephones, and remote controls with a disinfecting wipe that doesn't contain bleach. Squeeze to remove excess moisture first. Always turn off computers before cleaning.
Monthly Speed Clean for Germs
These monthly chores take hardly any time:
- Wash pet toys: Wash hard toys with hot, soapy water and disinfect. Rinse well before letting them dry. Toss soft toys in the washer with other laundry to wash in hot water.
- Pour a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach and 1 quart water down the kitchen sink drain to sanitize the drain and garbage disposal. Or pour white vinegar down the drain.
- Clean the coffeemaker.
Clean Sweep Shortcuts
For super speedy cleanups, try these shortcuts:
- Keep cleaning products together in a pail or basket so they're ready when you are and can be carried from room to room.
- While a disinfectant is sitting, tackle another chore.
- Use a plastic can liner to help control trash spills and leaking and to cut down on wastebasket and garbage can cleaning.
- To keep spills in the refrigerator and on floors from turning into bigger messes, clean and sanitize them as they happen.