16 Breakfasts Your Kids (and You) Will Love
To help you prep a better breakfast and think outside the cereal box, here are 16 well-rounded meal ideas Glockner says will entice even the pickiest eaters:
1. Breakfast burrito: a whole-grain tortilla stuffed with scrambled eggs or beans, veggies, and salsa.
2. Baked eggs in half of an avocado or with other veggies (like bell pepper or zucchini). Serve with whole grain toast and sliced fruit.
3. Shakshuka (poached eggs in marinara sauce with herbs and spices): Add your kids' favorite veggies into the sauce. Serve with whole-grain pita wedges.
4. Breakfast kebabs: whole-grain waffle squares skewered with cheese cubes and fruit or veggie slices.
5. Scrambled eggs made in a waffle press: Season with cinnamon and top with sliced fruits for a sweet version, or add fresh herbs (like chives) and top with veggies for a savory version. Serve with a little plain yogurt and a whole-wheat cracker.
6. Egg white or tofu scramble with veggies. Serve with a whole-wheat English muffin.
7. Quinoa breakfast bowl with fruit slices, cinnamon, vanilla, and milk. Add nuts or seeds for crunch.
8. Oats in a jar. Prep ahead by layering a jar with old-fashioned rolled oats, cut-up fruits, and nuts or seeds. In the morning, add warm milk or water and let stand while everybody gets dressed.
9. Mixed fruit and plain yogurt. For a savory version, add veggies like cucumbers or red pepper. Top with nuts or seeds for crunch. (You can also blend everything into a smoothie.)
10. Whole-grain spaghetti with scrambled eggs, garlic, parsley, and parmesan cheese mixed with a little olive oil. Serve with cut-up veggies.
11. Whole-grain tortilla or pita “pizza” topped with hummus, cucumbers, mint, and other veggies.
12. Sliced hard-boiled eggs on whole-wheat toast with avocado spread, sliced tomatoes, and olives. You can also add sunflower seeds instead of the hard-boiled eggs.
13. Almond flax muffins: Mix 1/4 cup almond meal, 1 teaspoon flax seeds, 1 egg, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 mashed banana, and a handful of frozen fruit. Microwave for 1 minute in a mug. Cut in half and spread nut or seed butter on top.