Skip to content

    Health & Parenting

    Font Size
    A
    A
    A

    Lead in Toys: Could It Be Lurking in Your Home?

    While many dangerous toys have been recalled, lead has been found in some that haven't made any recall list. Here's what you need to know.
    By Annabelle Robertson
    WebMD Feature
    Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

    When Eleilia Preston gave birth to her first child, the last thing she worried about was lead in toys.

    The stay-at-home mom, who describes herself as "over-the-edge careful," made sure that little Megan was always within eyesight. She documented each bite her daughter ate and washed all her toys, several times a week.

    That's why Preston, 29, was so shocked when doctors diagnosed the toddler with lead poisoning.

    At 21 months, Megan far exceeded every developmental milestone for her age group. She spoke in sentences. She knew her colors. She could count to 20. But then, over a period of just a few weeks, Megan suddenly stopped talking.

    "She would follow orders but wouldn't speak," Preston says. "Her speech kept getting worse and worse. I was frantic."

    Fortunately, the Prestons had moved to New York, a state that requires mandatory blood lead testing of children at both 12 and 24 months of age. Megan's level came back at 26 micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL) -- a number that doctors consider extremely dangerous for young children. A second test, performed two weeks later at Preston's insistence, showed a blood lead level of 32 mcg/dL.

    According to Preston, health officials determined that the source of Megan's poisoning was crayons she had been eating.

    Lead in Toys: Toys Still on Shelves

    Most lead poisoning in this country is caused by lead-based paint. Although banned in 1978, it continues to be a hazard in 25% of U.S. homes with kids under age 6. However, about 30% of the childhood lead poison cases followed by the CDC are not caused by paint. Many experts believe that the culprit is lead in toys and jewelry.

    In 2006, a 4-year-old Minneapolis boy died after swallowing a trinket made by Reebok, which contained more than 90% lead. The incident brought to light the fact that many American toy companies have been violating federal safety standards for almost 30 years, according to Scott Wolfson of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

    The death also paved the way for the growing list of recalls which continues to plague parents today.

    1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

    Today on WebMD

    Girl holding up card with BMI written
    Is your child at a healthy weight?
    toddler climbing
    What happens in your child’s second year.
     
    father and son with laundry basket
    Get your kids to help around the house.
    boy frowning at brocolli
    Tips for dealing with mealtime mayhem
     
    mother and daughter talking
    Tool
    child brushing his teeth
    Slideshow
     
    Sipping hot tea
    Article
    boy drinking from cereal bowl
    Article
     
    hand holding a cell phone
    Article
    rl with friends
    fitSlideshow
     
    girl being bullied
    Article
    Child with adhd
    Slideshow