Family Menu Makeovers: Lighten Your Favorite Foods
Try these healthier versions of family favorites
Kids' Favorite Banana Bread
This is a mild-flavored banana bread without nuts, to please the younger palates in the family. It's great toasted, too!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup no-trans-fat margarine (choose one with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
1/4 vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup Splenda baking sweetener or sugar
1/4 cup egg substitute or 2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups mashed overripe bananas (about four bananas)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with canola cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, and salt. In large mixing bowl, cream together margarine, yogurt, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and Splenda.
- On low speed, beat in egg, egg substitute, and mashed bananas until well blended. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and blend just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Yield: One 9x5-inch loaf (12 servings).
Per serving: 198 calories, 5 g protein, 36.5 g carbohydrate, 4.3 g fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 232 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29%.
Source: Syd Carter, an editor with AllRecipes.com
The Perfect Cheeseburger
Lower the fat and calories even more by using ground turkey breast.
1 pound super-lean ground beef or fresh ground sirloin
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Canola cooking spray
4 slices reduced-fat cheese
4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Tomato and onion slices (optional)
Mustard and catsup (optional)
Barbecue sauce (optional)
- Divide the beef into 4 equal portions. Use a patty press (or your hands) to make four burgers. Sprinkle them with the pepper and garlic salt.
- Pan-fry, broil, or grill the burgers, using canola cooking spray to keep them from sticking to the pan or grill. When the burgers are almost cooked through, place the cheese slices on top and finish cooking (30 to 60 seconds). Remove the burgers to the serving plate. If desired, cover the plate with foil to keep burgers warm and moist.
- Dress your burger on the bun with the lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, mustard, barbecue sauce, and ketchup as desired.