Fire Safety Measures
Potential Fire Hazards continued...
Gas-Fired Space Heaters
These heaters should not be used in small, enclosed areas -- especially bedrooms -- because there is potential for explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for lighting the pilot. Otherwise, gas vapors can accumulate and ignite, burning your hand or face.
- Light a match to ignite the pilot before you turn on the gas; it will prevent gas buildup. Keep flammable materials away from gas-fired appliances.
- Do not use a propane heater (LP) with a gas cylinder.
- Use proper fuses in electrical boxes, do not overload outlets, and use insulated and grounded electrical cords.
- Keep trash cleaned up in attics, basements, and garages.
- Be careful with gas equipment such as lawn mowers, snow blowers, and chain saws.
- Avoid fireworks. Think of safety first when dealing with fireworks.