crisp apples, such as Jazz or Pink Lady, divided
packed brown sugar, divided
nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Shred 2 apples using the large holes of a box grater, leaving the core behind.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oats and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add water and the shredded apples; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining 2 apples.
- After the oats have cooked for 10 minutes, stir in the chopped apples, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and salt; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and the oatmeal is quite thick, 15 to 20 minutes more. Divide the oatmeal among 4 bowls. Top each portion with 2 tablespoons yogurt and 3/4 teaspoon brown sugar.
Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Makes: 4 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
* Nutritional Guidelines based on the USDA's MyPlate Standards.
- Fat1 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Carbohydrates46 g
- Protein5 g
- Sodium166 mg
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to