brown basmati rice
cups plus 1 tablespoon
gluten-free vanilla rice milk, divided (see Tip)
light brown sugar
ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
ripe bananas, divided
- Combine rice, water and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid is fully absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Stir in 3 cups rice milk, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and bring to a lively simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir cornstarch and the remaining 1 tablespoon rice milk in a small bowl until smooth; add to the pudding. Continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is the consistency of porridge, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mash 2 bananas in a small bowl. Stir the mashed bananas and vanilla into the pudding. Transfer to a large bowl, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, slice the remaining 2 bananas. Top each serving with a few slices of banana and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Tip: Some brands of rice milk may contain gluten.
Makes: 8 servings, generous 1/2 cup each
* Nutritional Guidelines based on the USDA's MyPlate Standards.
- Fat2 g
- Cholesterol0 mg
- Carbohydrates49 g
- Protein3 g
- Sodium182 mg
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to