Feeding a family healthy food doesn't mean it's all about salads and veggie pitas. There are plenty of ways to transform your family's favorite dishes into healthier alternatives. Even kid foods like macaroni and cheese, pizza, and hot dogs can be relatively wholesome with a few ingredient adjustments. Here are several fast fixes, as well as some healthy family-friendly recipes to try.
5 Quick Makeovers
Just by making a few ingredient adjustments, you can make many favorite kid foods lower in calories and fat and higher in fiber and nutrients.
1. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Use 1 tablespoon of natural-style peanut butter.
- Use 1 tablespoon of less-sugar grape jelly (such as Smucker's Low Sugar).
- Use whole wheat or whole-grain bread, or fiber-enriched white bread.
2. Macaroni and cheese from the box
- Use 2 tablespoons of no-trans-fat margarine (choose one with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon) instead of 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Use low-fat milk instead of whole milk.
- Add a tablespoon or 2 of fat-free or light sour cream, if needed for creaminess.
- Add veggies on the side or in the macaroni (such as 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli per serving).
SAVINGS: 72 calories and 8 g fat per serving (if four servings per box), plus 2.3 g fiber added!
3. Hot dogs
- Choose a reduced-fat hot dog. Ball Park Lite, Louis Rich Turkey Franks, and Hebrew National Reduced Fat are great options.
- Look for whole wheat or higher-fiber buns.
- Add onions and tomato, if desired, for added nutrition.
- Choose lower-fat and lower-calorie condiments such as ketchup or mustard.
BEFORE: 366 calories, 22 g fat, 9.1 g saturated fat, 1.2 g fiber
AFTER: 325 calories, 11 g fat, 3.2 g saturated fat, 5.8 g fiber
SAVINGS: 41 calories, 11 g fat, and 5.9 g saturated fat, plus 4.6 g fiber added!