5 Quick Makeovers continued...
4. French fries
- Choose lower-fat frozen French fries.
- Bake them instead of frying.
- Complement this side dish with a fruit and a vegetable, so the family doesn’t overdo the fries.
BEFORE: 245 calories, 12 g fat, 5.6 g saturated fat, 0.8 g fiber per 3-ounce serving
AFTER: 122 calories, 4 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 1 g fiber per 3-ounce serving
SAVINGS: 123 calories, 8 g fat, 5.1 g saturated fat, plus 0.2 g fiber added!
5. Mexican dishes
- Use reduced-fat Monterey Jack and/or cheddar cheese.
- Work in beans every chance you get.
- Use extra-lean meat (super-lean ground beef or ground sirloin, skinless chicken breast, lean pork trimmed of visible fat).
- Use fat-free or light sour cream instead of regular.
- Work in whole grains and vegetables (such as brown rice, whole wheat tortillas, tomatoes, green peppers, etc.).
2 Recipes for a Healthier Twist on Family Favorites
Your family won't even know they're eating healthier when they're digging into these delicious versions of family favorites.
Easy French Bread Pizza
A quick alternative to frozen pizza. Easy for kids to assemble, then Mom or Dad can broil them.
2 French-bread sandwich rolls, split in half
Olive oil or canola cooking spray
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 cup bottled pizza sauce or marinara sauce
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Optional vegetable toppings:
Chopped green onions
- Preheat broiler.
- Spray the tops of the French-bread roll halves with canola or olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the top of each.
- Broil bread halves until lightly brown on top. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
- Spread 1/8 cup pizza sauce over each half, then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheddar cheese and 1/4 of the mozzarella over each half.
- Arrange any vegetables you choose on top of the cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
Yield: 4 servings
Per serving (without the vegetable toppings): 189 calories, 12 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat, 4.3 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 430 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.