2 Healthy Twists on Family Favorites continued...
2 French-bread sandwich rolls, split in half
Olive oil or canola cooking spray
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 cup bottled pizza sauce or marinara sauce
3/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Optional vegetable toppings:
Chopped green peppers
- Preheat broiler.
- Spray the tops of the French-bread roll halves with cooking spray, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the top of each.
- Broil the rolls until lightly brown on top.
- Spread 1/8 cup pizza sauce over each half, then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheddar cheese and 1/4 of the mozzarella over each half.
- Add your vegetables on top of the cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
Makes 4 servings
The Perfect Cheeseburger
Lower the fat and calories even more with ground turkey breast instead of beef.
1 pound super-lean ground beef or fresh ground sirloin
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Canola cooking spray
4 slices low-fat cheese
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Tomato and onion slices (optional)
Mustard and ketchup (optional)
Barbecue sauce (optional)
- Divide the beef into 4 equal portions and shape them into burger patties. Sprinkle them with the pepper and garlic salt.
- Pan-fry, broil, or grill the burgers, using canola cooking spray to keep them from sticking. When the burgers are almost cooked through, place the cheese slices on top and finish cooking (30 to 60 seconds). Remove the burgers to the serving plate. Cover the plate with foil to keep burgers warm and moist.
- Dress your burger on the bun with the lettuce, sliced tomato and onion, mustard, barbecue sauce, and ketchup as desired.
Makes 4 servings