Using mini pepperoni slices (or chopping regular-sized slices) allows you to use less pepperoni, but still get plenty of flavor on this pepperoni and pepper pizza. Use green or yellow pepper instead of red, or swap out the pepper for your favorite veggie instead. No time to make homemade dough? Look for whole-wheat pizza-dough balls at your supermarket. Check the ingredient list to make sure the dough doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils.
Thin-Crust Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough:
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon lukewarm water, (105-115°F)
1 package active dry yeast, (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Tips)
1 cup bread flour, or all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1/2 cup prepared pizza (or marinara) sauce
1/3 cup mini pepperoni slices, (or chopped pepperoni)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- To prepare dough: Stir water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl; let stand until the yeast has dissolved, about 5 minutes. Stir in whole-wheat flour, bread flour (or all-purpose flour) and salt until the dough begins to come together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, mix the dough in a food processor or in a stand mixer with a dough hook. Process or mix until it forms a ball. Continue to process until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 1 minute more in a food processor or 4 to 5 minutes more on low speed in a stand mixer.) Place the dough in an oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel; set aside in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Brush oil over a large baking sheet. Sprinkle the baking sheet with cornmeal to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle flour over work surface. Roll out the dough to the size of the baking sheet (see Tips) and transfer to the baking sheet. Cover the dough with sauce. Scatter with pepperoni and pepper and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Find it at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
No time to make your own dough? Look for balls of prepared whole-wheat pizza dough at your supermarket, fresh or frozen and without any hydrogenated oils.