Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Select An Article

Work With a Doctor to Manage Rheumatoid Arthritis

    Font Size

    Do you see a rheumatologist for your rheumatoid arthritis? It can make a difference in how your RA goes.

    These doctors treat arthritis and other problems of the joints, bones, and muscles. If you don’t have one, ask your regular doctor for a referral. You can also look on your insurance plan’s list of providers. Or check the website of the American College of Rheumatology (click on “Find a Rheumatologist").

    Your rheumatologist will:

    • Do joint exams to look for swelling and changes in strength or how well the joint moves
    • Give you X-rays and blood tests
    • Give you a questionnaire at least twice a year about what you can do

    At least once a year, you should talk with your doctor about the "big picture" of your treatment plan. You may want to ask:

    • How severe is my RA?
    • How much has it changed each year? (For instance, you should mention any activities that are hard for you to do.)
    • Do I have any new joint damage?
    • Do I need any new professionals, such as physical or occupational therapists, orthopedic surgeons, or counselors?

    If your treatment is on the right track, chances are good that your rheumatoid arthritis is stable and progressing slowly, if at all.

    Be open about how you feel and any changes you notice, so your doctor knows what you need.

    WebMD Medical Reference

    Reviewed by David Zelman, MD on November 18, 2015
    Next Article:

    Today on WebMD

    rubbing hands
    Avoid these 6 common mistakes.
    mature couple exercising
    Decrease pain, increase energy.
    mature woman threading needle
    How much do you know?
    Swelling, fatigue, pain, and more.
    Lucille Ball
    Hand bones X-ray
    prescription pills
    Woman massaging her neck
    woman roasting vegetables in oven
    Woman rubbing shoulder
    Working out with light weights