What alternative or natural treatments have you tried for RA joint pain? That was the question posed by Scott Zashin, MD, in a recent WebMD Rheumatoid Arthritis Community discussion. And nearly everyone who responded had tried -- or are currently using -- some type of alternative therapy.
A few people said they found some relief with:
- Hot and cold treatments, such as hot baths or cold packs
- Paraffin wax dips, for their hands and feet
Other community members said they had also tried:
- Taking fish oil and other omega-3 supplements. One person felt that it gave her more energy.
- Homeopathic remedies and ointments for arthritis pain.
- Herbal combinations. One community member swore by a formulation of cinnamon, ginger root, and turmeric curcumin that is available online. Another member mixes a turmeric, rosemary, and ginger powder formulation into rice milk to fight inflammation.
As another community member noted, it's important to discuss alternative RA treatments with your doctor before trying anything new.