Schizophrenia: Choosing a Doctor and Therapist
Finding the Right Health Care Provider
The following are some suggestions to help you find the right health care provider:
- Talk to trusted friends, family, or clergy about professionals they may have seen or know of in the community.
- Ask another health care provider for a recommendation.
- Ask your health insurance company for a provider list.
- Use a referral service from a national professional organization for therapists or doctors.
- Call a local or national medical society or mental health organization.
- Look in the phone book under categories including social service organizations and counselors .
Prior to scheduling your first appointment, think about the things you would like to know about your potential new doctor or therapist. Questions you may want to ask about include:
- His or her education, licensure, and years in practice
- Fees, lengths of sessions, insurance coverage, and office hours
- His or her availability in case of an emergency
- His or her treatment approach and philosophy
- His or her specialization by age group or particular disorder