Tips for Caring for a Genital Piercing
Here are tips to minimize the risk of complications following a genital piercing:
- Be sure you understand and then follow all instructions for keeping the area clean, washing regularly with a diluted saline solution
- It's important not to handle or let others handle the genital piercing while it is healing.
- Always wash your hands before touching or cleaning the genital area.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for at least two weeks after a piercing.
- When you do have sex, clean the pierced area with saline solution afterward.
- Use a condom or other barrier protection when engaging in sexual activity.
- Clean the area prior to urination if the piercing is located near the urethra.
- Do not use a hot tub or go swimming until the piercing has healed.
- Remember that infections can occur at the site of the piercing even after it has healed. Bacteria can enter under the skin at that point. So watch for signs of infection and contact your doctor if any of the following symptoms occur. Don't try to treat the infection on your own.
Signs of infection include:
- Bad smell
- A rash at or around the piercing site