Your Guide to Sexually Transmitted Diseases
How Can I Avoid Spreading an STD?
- If you have an STD, stop having sex until you see a doctor and are treated.
- Follow your doctor's instructions for treatment.
- Use condoms whenever you have sex, especially with new partners.
- Don't resume having sex unless your doctor says it's okay.
- Return to your doctor to get rechecked.
- Be sure your sex partner or partners also are treated.
Marina Katz, MD on July 30, 2012
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.