Understanding Female Sexual Problems -- the Basics
What Causes Sexual Problems in Women? continued...
A variety of medications and drugs can interfere with sexual functioning, including:
- Drugs to treat high blood pressure
- Pain medications
- Certain antidepressants
- Antipsychotic medications
Psychological factors may play a role, particularly if your problem is lack of desire or inability to get aroused. You may find it difficult to enjoy a sexual relationship if:
- You are under a lot of stress.
- Your relationship is troubled.
- You have a history of traumatic sexual encounters.
- You were raised in a family with strict sexual taboos.
- You have poor body image.
- You're afraid of getting pregnant or of contracting a sexually-transmitted disease.
- You have negative feelings (including guilt, anger, fear, and low self-esteem).
- You have an anxiety disorder.
- You are depressed.