You don't have to live with the flakes, redness, and itching of dandruff. There are simple things you can do to help prevent it.
- 1Wash your hair often. Shampooing helps get rid of the oily buildup on your scalp that can lead to dandruff. Some people should wash their hair every day to prevent oily buildup. If you're of African descent, you may only need to wash once a week. But everyone should wash their hair at least weekly.
- 2Try a shampoo that has dandruff-fighting ingredients. It can prevent some of the inflammation that leads to flakiness, redness, and itchiness.
- 3Don't use lots of hair products. They can leave a buildup on your scalp and make your dandruff worse.
- 4Eat anti-inflammatory foods such as fruits, vegetables, and fish. Taking vitamins may help, too. Vitamin B, omega-3 fatty acids, and zinc can help inflammatory skin problems like dandruff.
- 5Try to ease the stress in your life. Stress can make almost any skin condition worse. Managing your stress will make you feel better and may also help your dandruff.
- 6Stay away from skin care and hair products that moisturize. They can make your condition worse. When you have dandruff, your scalp is usually oily, not dry.
- 7See a dermatologist if you have questions about preventing dandruff.