Skin Problems & Treatments Health Home

Rash from Poisonous Plants

Childhood Skin Problems

Photo of poison ivy skin rash
© Scott Camazine / Phototake -- All rights reserved.

Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are plants that contain an irritating, oily sap called urushiol. Urushiol triggers an allergic reaction when it comes into contact with skin, resulting in an itchy rash, which can appear within hours of exposure or up to several days later. A person can be exposed to urushiol directly or by touching objects -- such as gardening tools, camping equipment and even a pet's fur -- that have come into contact with the sap of one of the poison plants.

The rash that results from the poison plants is a form of allergic contact dermatitis. (Dermatitis is swelling and irritation of the skin.) Skin is not automatically sensitive to urushiol. Sensitivity builds up after the skin is exposed to the substance. When initially exposed to urushiol, the skin alerts the immune system of the presence of the irritating chemical. (Usually, no visible reaction will occur the first time a person comes in contact with a poison plant.) The immune system then prepares a defensive reaction for the next time the skin encounters the substance. This sensitizes the skin so that new contact with urushiol causes an allergic reaction. Read more about poisonous plant allergies.

Slideshow: Skin Pictures Slideshow: Photos and Images of Skin Problems

Article: Allergies: Poison Plant Allergies: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

Article: Understanding Poison Ivy, Oak, & Sumac - the Basics

WebMD Image Collection Reviewed by Varnada Karriem-Norwood, MD on November 22, 2014

Sources

Sources:

Image: © Scott Camazine / Phototake -- All rights reserved.

Text: "Allergies: Poison Plant Allergies: Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac", WebMD Medical Reference provided in collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic

© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.