Prevent Warts on the Foot (Plantar Warts)
To prevent warts on the foot (plantar warts):
- Keep your feet dry. Warts thrive in moist, sweaty environments.
- Wear socks that absorb moisture if your feet sweat heavily. Change your socks often.
- Do not wear another person's shoes or socks.
- Avoid touching warts.
- Do not walk barefoot in a public locker room or shower facility. Whenever possible, wear thongs or other footwear.
- Avoid injury or irritation to the soles of your feet. Warts grow more easily if the skin has been cut, punctured, or scraped.
If you think you have plantar warts and are trying to avoid spreading them to others:
- Keep the warts covered with a bandage or athletic tape. Some experts suggest using duct tape.
- Do not share your towel, bath mat, shoes, or socks with others.
Primary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
Specialist Medical ReviewerH. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
Current as ofMarch 12, 2014