Athlete's Foot - Symptoms
(tinea pedis) symptoms vary from person to person. Although some people have
severe discomfort, others have few or no symptoms. Common symptoms
- Peeling, cracking, and scaling of the
- Redness, blisters, or softening and breaking down
(maceration) of the skin.
- Itching, burning, or both.
Toe web infection
Toe web infection
(interdigital) is the most common
type of athlete's foot. It usually occurs between the two smallest toes. This
type of infection:
- Often begins with skin that seems soft and
moist and pale white.
- May cause itching, burning, and a slight
- May get worse. The skin between the toes becomes scaly,
peels, and cracks. If the infection becomes severe, a bacterial infection is
usually present, which causes further skin breakdown and a foul odor.
A moccasin-type infection is a long-lasting (chronic)
infection. This type of infection:
- May begin with minor irritation, dryness,
itching, burning, or scaly skin.
- Progresses to thickened, scaling,
cracked, and peeling skin on the sole or heel. In severe cases, the toenails
become infected and can thicken, crumble, and even fall out. For more
information, see the topic
Fungal Nail Infections.
- May appear on the
palm of the hand (symptoms commonly affect one hand and both feet).
vesicular infection is the least common type of infection. This type:
- Usually begins with a sudden outbreak of fluid-filled blisters under the skin. The blisters most often develop on the skin
of the instep but may also develop between the toes, on the heel, or on the
sole or top of the foot.
- Sometimes occurs again after the
first infection. Infections may occur in the same area or in another area
such as the arms, chest, or fingers. You may have scaly skin between eruptions.
- May also be accompanied by a bacterial infection.
Athlete's foot is sometimes confused with pitted
keratolysis. In this health problem, the skin looks like a "moist honeycomb."
It most often occurs where the foot carries weight, such as on the heel and the
ball of the foot. Symptoms include feet that are very sweaty and smell