To keep children from scratching chickenpox blisters:
- Clean and closely trim your child's fingernails.
- Have a small child wear mittens or clean cotton socks on his or her hands to prevent scratching. Or use light bandages over open blisters.
- Wash your child's hands often.
- Distract your child when you find him or her scratching.
To help prevent irritation of chickenpox blisters:
- Use loose-fitting cotton clothing.
- Change clothes and bedsheets daily.
- Use a household cleaner such as Lysol or Pine-Sol to wash any items that are soiled with fluid from chickenpox blisters.
- Bathe daily with a soothing, mild soap that contains ingredients such as chamomile, aloe vera, or lavender. Look for soaps that are made for sensitive skin or are recommended for babies. You can also try a soap that contains oatmeal or an antibacterial soap such as Phisohex.
- Use a mild laundry detergent if clothes or linens seem to be irritating the skin.