Rash,Age 12 and Older - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- What is the history of your rash, including:
- When did the rash start?
did the rash start?
- Has the rash spread?
- Has the rash
- Have you been in contact with anything that may have
caused the rash?
- Have you been around anyone recently who has a
- Has anything made the rash better or worse?
- Have you had this rash before? If yes:
- What were the circumstances?
did you last have it?
- How was it treated?
- How long did
- What other symptoms have you had? Symptoms may
include itching, burning, stinging, tingling, numbness, pain, or tenderness to
- Have you used a new food, medicine, or product, such as
cosmetics, cleaning agents, detergents, soaps, chemicals, fabrics, lotions, or
- Have you been exposed to poisonous
plants. such as poison ivy, oak, or sumac?
- Have you had any other
health problems during the past 3 months?
- Have you recently
traveled to a rural area or to another country?
- Have you been under
an unusual amount of stress at home, work, or both?
- Does anyone in
your family have a skin disorder or an allergy? If so, to
- Are your shots and vaccines up-to-date?
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Did they help?
- What nonprescription medicines have you tried? Did they
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
July 20, 2010
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.