- Take a lukewarm (not hot) bath or shower. Dry off well with a towel. Do not share this towel with others.
- Apply the medicine according to your doctor's directions. In most cases, the medicine is a cream or lotion that is applied in a thin, even layer over the whole body from the neck down.
- Look for special instructions for infants and children. Be sure to read and follow all instructions that come with the medicine.
- Trim fingernails and toenails short. Brush the medicine thoroughly under the fingernails.
- Leave the medicine on for as long as your doctor recommends.
- Wash the medicine off with lukewarm, soapy water, and dry the skin.
- Put on clean clothing, and change your bed linens. Wash all clothes, bedding, and towels used in the 3 days before you or your child started treatment. Use hot water, and use the hot cycle in a dryer. Another option is to dry-clean these items. Or seal them in a plastic bag for 3 to 7 days.
Do not apply the scabies medicine more often than is recommended by your doctor.