Try one of the following home treatment measures to resolve a scalp problem.
- Try home treatment for dandruff, such as using an antidandruff shampoo for dandruff that causes white flakes on your head.
- Perform a skin self-exam to help identify suspicious scalp growths. Part your hair to look at your scalp. If you have trouble seeing your scalp, ask a friend or family member to check the spot for you.
- If your baby has yellow crusting on his or her scalp, try home treatment for cradle cap.
- An hour before shampooing, rub your baby's scalp with baby oil, mineral oil, or petroleum jelly to help lift the crusts and loosen scales.
- When ready to shampoo, first get the scalp wet, then gently scrub the scalp with a soft-bristle brush (a soft toothbrush works well) for a few minutes to remove the scales. You can also try gently removing the scales with a fine-tooth comb.
- Then wash the scalp with baby shampoo, rinse well, and gently towel dry.
- If your baby has a bald spot at the back or side of the scalp, change your baby's position frequently. Lying in one position may be causing the bald spot.
There may be other things you can do at home for other kinds of scalp problems.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home treatment:
- Signs of a skin infection develop.
- Symptoms become more severe or frequent or do not go away.