Scalp Problems - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- What are your main symptoms?
- How long have you had
- Have you had this problem in the past? If so, how was it treated?
Did the treatment help?
- If you are concerned about hair loss or thinning, when did you last
have what you consider a normal head of hair?
- Do you have a family
history of hair loss?
- What are your hair care habits?
- How often do you wash your
- Do you use hot rollers, a hair dryer, a curling
iron, or a flat iron or straightener?
- Have you had a recent permanent or used a hair color
- Do you regularly use elastic bands, barrettes, or bobby
- Question for women:
Are you using a hormonal birth control
- What nonprescription and prescription medicines,
including vitamins, have you taken in the last 6 months?
- Have you
had any recent illness or surgery?
- Do you have any skin disorders
or chronic illnesses?
- Do you think you may have been exposed to head
- Does anyone in your family have
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
April 26, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.