How Can I Prevent Varicose Veins?
- Exercise regularly! Staying fit is the best way to keep your leg muscles toned, your blood flowing, and your weight under control.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing.
- If your daily routine requires you to be on your feet constantly, consider wearing daily support hose. Stretch and exercise your legs as often as possible to increase circulation and reduce pressure buildup.
- If you smoke, quit. Studies show that smoking may contribute to the development of varicose veins.
- If you're pregnant, be sure to sleep on the left side rather than on your back to minimize pressure from the uterus on the veins in your pelvic area. This position will also improve blood flow to the fetus. If you are prone to developing varicose veins, ask your doctor for a prescription for compression stockings.