The amount of sleep a person needs depends on many factors, including age. In general:
- Infants require about 12-15 hours a day
- Toddlers require about 11-14 hours a day.
- Pre-school children require 10-13 hours a day.
- School-age children require 9-11 hours a day.
- Teenagers need about 8.5-9.5 hours on average.
- Most adults need 7 to 9 hours a night for the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 6 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day.
- Women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual.