Learn About VASCEPA®
What is VASCEPA?
- VASCEPA (icosapent ethyl) capsules are the first FDA approved EPA*-only Omega-3.
- VASCEPA is a prescription medicine, used along with a low-fat and low-cholesterol diet, to lower high triglycerides (fats).
- VASCEPA is obtained naturally from wild deep-water Pacific Ocean fish.
Most often, having high triglycerides has no warning signs. See your doctor about your triglyceride number, and find out if VASCEPA is right for you.
Your doctor may do blood tests while you take VASCEPA, especially if you have liver problems.
Next:What are the benefits of VASCEPA?
What is VASCEPA?
VASCEPA is a prescription medicine used along with a low-fat and low-cholesterol diet to lower high levels of triglycerides (fats) in adults.
- It is not known if VASCEPA changes your risk of having inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis).
- It is not known if VASCEPA prevents you from having a heart attack or stroke.
- It is not known if VASCEPA is safe and effective in children.
What are the possible side effects of VASCEPA?
- Do not take VASCEPA if you are allergic to icosapent ethyl or any of the ingredients in VASCEPA.
- It is not known if people who are allergic to fish or shellfish are also allergic to VASCEPA.
- The most common side effect of VASCEPA is joint pain. Talk to your doctor for medical advice about side effects. As with all drugs, you may experience a serious side effect when taking VASCEPA.
- Take VASCEPA capsules whole. Do not break, crush, dissolve, or chew VASCEPA capsules before swallowing.
- You may report side effects by calling 1-855-VASCEPA or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
For more information, go to www.vascepa.com or call 1-855-VASCEPA (1-855-827-2372).
VASCEPA is a registered trademark of Amarin Pharmaceuticals Ireland Ltd.
© 2012 Amarin Pharmaceuticals Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.