Why Should Triglycerides Matter To You?
Like cholesterol, triglycerides are needed for good health. However, high levels of triglycerides, if not treated, may lead to more serious illnesses.1-4 Doctors generally recommend treatment for patients whose triglyceride numbers are too high.
It is not known if VASCEPA prevents you from having inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis).
It is not known if VASCEPA prevents you from having a heart attack or stroke.
What is VASCEPA?
VASCEPA is a prescription medicine used along with a low-fat and low-cholesterol diet to lower high levels of triglycerides (fats) in adults.
- It is not known if VASCEPA changes your risk of having inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis).
- It is not known if VASCEPA prevents you from having a heart attack or stroke.
- It is not known if VASCEPA is safe and effective in children.
What are the possible side effects of VASCEPA?
- Do not take VASCEPA if you are allergic to icosapent ethyl or any of the ingredients in VASCEPA.
- It is not known if people who are allergic to fish or shellfish are also allergic to VASCEPA.
- The most common side effect of VASCEPA is joint pain. Talk to your doctor for medical advice about side effects. As with all drugs, you may experience a serious side effect when taking VASCEPA.
- Take VASCEPA capsules whole. Do not break, crush, dissolve, or chew VASCEPA capsules before swallowing.
- You may report side effects by calling 1-855-VASCEPA or the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
For more information, go to www.vascepa.com or call 1-855-VASCEPA (1-855-827-2372).
Next: How to manage your triglycerides
- Miller M, Stone NJ, et al. Triglycerides and Cardiovascular Disease: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2011;123:2292-2333.
- Yuan G, Al-Shali KZ, Hegele RA. Hypertriglyceridemia: its etiology, effects and treatment. CMAJ. 2007;176(8):1113-20.
- Varbo A, Nordestgaard BG, et al. Nonfasting Triglycerides, Cholesterol, and Ischemic Stroke in the General Population. ANN Neurol. 2011;69:628-634.
- Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). JAMA. May 16, 2001;285(19):2486.
VASCEPA is a registered trademark of Amarin Pharmaceuticals Ireland Ltd.
© 2012 Amarin Pharmaceuticals Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.
WebMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment.