Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

6. Plan your travels.

Choose airline seats ahead of time if at all possible so that you can have an aisle seat near the restroom.

7. Make friends.

Solicit help from flight attendants when traveling. For example, explain your situation, and ask if they can let you know ahead of time when the seat belt light is about to come on so you can go to the bathroom first.  

If you're making a fast connection, flight attendants or gate agents may be able to help you speed to your gate in time for a bathroom break.

8. Involve your boss.

Most supervisors will be reasonable about scheduling regular bathroom breaks.

"You don't have to go into detail," says Ellsworth. "Just explain that you have a bladder condition that requires that you go to the bathroom every two hours, or whatever your schedule is."

Ellsworth and most doctors who treat patients with OAB will write letters confirming the condition so that the boss doesn't think it's just an excuse to get another break.

9. Kegel, Kegel, Kegel!

The pelvic floor contractions called Kegels are a great way to keep your bladder muscles strong in general, and you can do them without people noticing.

Even if you haven't been doing Kegels regularly, if the urge to urinate hits, a quick series of pelvic floor contractions can sometimes abate that sensation until you can get to the bathroom.

10. Don't fear the pad.

If you know you're going to be having a horribly hectic day, wear a pad or other protective undergarment that day. For men, there are "condom catheter" devices, such as the Liberty, that can collect urine until you can change. "It allows a little more control so that in the worst-case situation, you're not going to have a visible accident," says Ellsworth. "Sometimes it's the better part of valor."

11. Get help!

You don't have to live with overactive bladder, at work or at home. People wait an average of seven years before seeking professional help for continence issues, but there's no need to suffer in silence.

Start with your family physician. Your doctor may refer you to a urologist or urogynecologist, who can discuss your options for medication, behavioral therapies, or surgery.

Overactive Bladder Poll

How much bother is your OAB?

View Results